The Manchester United striker had called for the government to extend a scheme to provide 1.5 million children with food vouchers during holidays until Easter 2021 but the proposal was voted down on Wednesday — 261 votes to 322.
“We must stop stigmatising, judging and pointing fingers. Our views are being clouded by political affiliation. This is not politics, this is humanity.”
Rashford had earlier clashed with number of UK lawmakers before the vote after the 22-year-old said he would be keeping an eye on proceedings.
Meanwhile, Conservative Party MP David Simmonds said that Rashford’s time receiving free school meals had occurred under a Labour government and Brendan Clarke-Smith MP said he opposed the idea of “nationalising children.”
“Instead, we need to get back to the idea of taking responsibility, and this means less celebrity virtue-signalling on Twitter by proxy and more action to tackle the real causes of child poverty,” said Clarke-Smith.
After an impassioned campaign earlier this year, Rashford forced the UK government to reverse its decision to not extend free school meal vouchers throughout the summer holidays amid the pandemic.
The Manchester Unisted star said the latest knock back would not deter him from campaigning on the issue.
“I don’t have the education of a politician, many on Twitter have made that clear today, but I have a social education having lived through this and having spent time with the families and children most affected,” he wrote.
“These children matter. These children are the future of this country. They are not just another statistic. And for as long as they don’t have a voice, they will have mine. You have my word on that.”
Rashford’s extraordinary efforts of the pitch have not stopped the England international from impressing on it.